The Hillsboro Story - Education & Outreach
"The responsibility of society is to let the poet be a poet." ~ Grace Paley
11th grade Language Arts Curriculum, using The Hillsboro Story as text, was written by a brilliant team of teachers from the Portland Public Schools. The curriculum meets standards, asks students to research and produce creative writing that spirals between memory and history, and is adaptable to multiple disciplines. The play can be part of the education and outreach mission of a professional theatre and support educators who are integrating oral narrative (voice) and academic theory (vision).
The curriculum is available by request.
Documentary Art and Multi-media
Original documents and visual art have been used for acting research, theatre props, set design, projections, art installations, education and marketing.
- Archival photographs from families
- Landscape and portrait photography by the author
- 50's film images (8mm transferred to DVD) from family and community archives
Original Visual Art
- 4"x6" image cards -- original paintings/key images by the author
- Map of Highland County by the author (in process)
- Everyday Dancing card decks for rehearsals & creative practice
- Newspaper and Magazine articles from: Hillsboro Press Gazette, Cincinnati Enquirer,Cleveland Call and Post, Time Magazine, Jet Magazine, The Progressive (cited in Bibliography)
- Letters from family collections
- Court records
- Academic papers (cited in bibliography)
Funding for the Theatre Premier and Educational Outreach are made possible with support from US Bank, Oregon Cultural Trust, and Ben Earle, Chris Rauschenberg, and Janet Stein.
|Presenting Season Sponsor: